Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Good solid hill workout!





This afternoon after I got out of school, I went to this shaded hill behind a Columbia (Howard County), Maryland neighborhood where we would frequently run hill repeats during hill workouts back when I ran on Hammond High School's cross country team. I figured that since the North Beach 5K in Calvert County, Maryland among other races I hope to run in the near future may be hilly, I thought that this week's interval/harder workout should be a hill work out.
The hill is about a quarter-mile in length I think (actually, I think it may just be a bit shorter than that, but it still provides a great workout).
I built into the workout and ran four repeats hard up the hill and then the recovery was pretty much jogging/running back down the hill. I hit 1:31 for all of the repeats except for the third one, where I ran 1:27 and some very high number of milliseconds. I was hoping my fourth would be under 1:30 as well, and maybe faster than the third one, but I guess maybe I got off to a slow start. Oh well, at least I felt I got in a strong workout without feeling completely wiped!
I had been at Genessee Valley (I think it is in northern Baltimore County) earlier today on a field trip with the students I work with at the Homewood Center, and that was a lotof fun. We wlaked around the scenic area, played some games that involved a lot of thinking and some physical skill. Us staff members heped the students a bit and participated. It was fun and such an awesome day for it weather-wise (and it worked great for the work out too). I thought I may have been a little tired from it, but I felt pretty solid.
Hopefully this good momentum can continue and I am looking forward to the final phase of this Maryland state-wide running endeavor for this year... I can not believe how far I have come and to still be able to hav it in me to run hills like that and run last Sunday's somewhat challenging Police Pace 5-kilometer run in Howard County in 18:37.69, what a blessing :)

No comments: