Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Photos from the 60th National Hard Crab Derby and other areas in Somerset County, Maryland























































































Good evening everyone. Here are some great photos (great in my opinion anyway) of when I went to the 60th National Hard Crab Derby for the 28th Annual Mike Sterling 10K and armwrestling matches in Crisfield (Somerset County), Maryland on Saturday, September 1st, 2007.
This county is as rural as it is scenic. Being by a bay area, it includes several islands like Jane's Island and Smith Island. I do not believe I have ever been to these islands before, but perhaps someday. Anyway, I took some pictures from the race area, then the Crab Derby Festival, and then some other scenic pictures in Somerset County.
I'll start from the top.
The top two photos are from the "Depot" area of Crisfield, where the Mike Sterling 10K started and finished.
The next two down are on some city docks around the "Depot" area where the registration and awards ceremony took place. To the right, I'm getting my age group award with race coordinator, Steven Flaherty, to my right, and the person who helped start up this event so long ago, Mike Sterling.
The next two down are more scenic ones. The one on the left is a photo of Jane's Island from the city docks where the awards took place. The one on the right came from later that afternoon in Jane's Island State Park from a dock (this park is part of the McCready Health Service's Founder's Day 8K course that I ran earlier this year on Saturday, May 5 :)
The following two are from the afternoon at the hub of activity of the National Hard Crab Derby. These festivities occurred in Crisfield at the Somers Cove Marina, pretty much within walking distance of the "Depot" area. To the left is a picture of some of the booths and tents set up at the festival. To the right is a pciture of the "Bowl", a sorta stadium where events like the crab races and arm wrestling took place.
The last four photos down are from the relatively rural area of Rehobeth, Maryland (not to be confused with Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, haha). I have always seen it on maps and I thought it would be cool to check it out since it sounds like the name of one of my favorite Delaware beaches. It is right off of Route 667, which can be reached from Route 13 or Route 413 (just to name a couple of probably common access points on the Maryland Eastern Shore).
I really thought Rehobeth was scenic and I am confident that last Saturday was my first time there!
This part of the weekend definitely helped make it enjoyable as well as all the people I saw and met. Thank you for reading this and I wish you all a good night :)

No comments: