Saturday, June 9, 2007

A Little "Slip Up"

So this mornin' I head up towards northern Maryland for what I thought was a Harford County trail race, but when I got there it ended up bein' in Baltimore County, a county I had run an event in almost a month ago. OOOPPSSS....
Oh well, no sweat, fortunately it was only a coupla bucks. It was called the PopPop and Pinhead Trail Scramble in the Lower Gunpowder Falls State Park trails and it was put on by R.A.S.A.C. (http://www.rasac.com) a group that has many of their events in Harford County, so I just assumed that this one would be in Harford County, but I was mistaken. It ended up being around the Perry Hall area and I'm glad I still made it. I had a good time and I think I finished about fifth or sixth roughly (haven't seen the actual results yet) in a time of 52:14 for a distance of about 5-6 miles. It was not too bad since I usually do not run that strongly on trail races and I wanted to have an easier paced run today anyways. There were some hills during the first half, but not too many during the second. It was not as hard or as treacherous as the 6+ miler I ran almost a month ago in Baltimore County in the Avalon Area of the Patapsco State Park, so I felt like I handled it really well. One thing worth noting about this event is that there are three "stream crossings" that are more like river crossings where participants cross the river by pretty much wading through it. According to runners who ran this in the past, the river seemed relatively low this year, but I would say it was at least one-to-two feet in some parts of it, and that's plenty deep for me if I'm runnin' through it! Upon gettin' through the first stream/river crossing, I thought to myself that one of the main reasons I ended up doing this is because of this goal, which has taken me all over Maryland in places like Kent County, Montgomery County, and even out to western Maryland a little bit. I'm lookin' forward to more progress soon as well as some more fun times like I had today at the PopPop and Pinhead Trail Scramble.
Have a good night out there everyone :)

No comments: