Saturday, June 30, 2007

Maryland Eastern Shore Completed!!!! :) :) :) :)




WWHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHOOOO!!!!

I finally ran in a Worcester County, MD running event that was almost cancelled because of all the supposedly unexpected rain around the Ocean City area. I am so happy to have run in running events in all nine counties on the Maryland Eastern Shore in just under four months (my first one being on Saturday, March 3, in Salisbury for the Seagull Opener track & field meet where I ran unattached). In my mind that is no easy feat, since year-around running events are slim pickin's in some of the counties on the Maryland Eastern Shore, and most of the races, I ran some strong performances too! I ran the third race in this "Dash and Splash" Series put on by the Francis Scott Key Resort in Ocean City, and the race took place at Stephen Decatur High School right around the Berlin, MD area. I was the first one to show up since I woke up a little before four a.m. (I really did not want anything goin' wrong on this Worcester County attempt so I left some buffer time) and made it there a lot faster than I expected. However, while in Dorchester County just before crossing southeast into Wicomico County, it started raining off and on, sometimes really hard too. When it stopped raining I would feel relief only to have it upturned by more of a downpour. Yet, I drove on, hoping and praying that ExtremeDreamEvents would still put on the event in the rain. Afterall, back in high school while I was on the track team, we would run at the Glenelg Invitational (in Howard County) where it would always seem to rain and as a result of experiences like that, I became used to the concept of having to run when the weather was a bit adverse.

Today, as I floored the gas, I was definitely ready to deal with the heavy chilly rains if it meant that I could finally run a running event in Worcester County.
Just before I crossed into Worcester County, the clouds got really dark gray with some heavy downpour, and I thought I even saw some clouds funneling over the fields off to my left (Ooooh no)! Well, I stopped worrying about that after I realized that there were still other cars on the road and that the local radio station was not reporting anything about tornado watches or warnings. In fact they said that this rain was only going to be "brief" in its passing. Man, I hoped they were right.
That wasn't the case
When I finally made it to Stephen Decatur High School, I was really glad to see the race coordinators there. I told them my story about why I came all the way from Columbia to do their race near Ocean City, and they seemed to find it interesting and were supportive of it. The race director, Mark Shaw, decided to move the race from the intended high school 5K cross country course to just on the track, meaning I would have to run 12-and-a-half laps around it thereabouts. I was grateful that they had decided on this alternative instead of cancelling it, and I think they were really considerate of the fact I had traveled so long and tried so hard to get an event in in Worcester County (and it seemed like they enthusiastically wanted to put on the event anyway), which was why they decided to do this alternate race.
However, it pretty much ended up me being me against the clock and myself, because by the time 8 o'clock came (the intended race start time), no one else showed up to run, so they got out a bib number for me, the timing clock (man, they really outdo themselves sometimes it seems), and they stood under the shelter of the high school stadium while they counted my laps and timed me. Fortunately, at this time, the rain really let up and did not start comin' down hard again until about the last mile.
I felt pretty strong throughout the run, going through the first 1600 meters in about 5:51, the second in about 12:03ish, and the third in about 18:17, adn then finishing the full 5K in about 18:50 (18:52 according to their clock, but when I started my watch, their clock had already been goin' for two seconds, and I did not start running until after I started my watch). I wanted to use my watch since I'm so used to it and since I was not running in my glasses, I could not see the clock that well anyway. I could have run a lot faster I think, but as I ran through the pourin' rain my shoes (which should have been tied tighter) started causing me problems shortly after the first mile. My socks and orthodics were bunchin' up in both of my shoes (which usually happens when I run in really wet weather). I guess I could have stopped to fix it, but I don't think they were gonna stop the clock that I was racin' against for that, so I pressed on dealing, with a slightly uncomfortable and awkward feeling beneath my feet. Without that extra cushioning, it almost felt like I was running without shoes on the damp track, and by the time I was ready for the last lap, I felt like my shoes would have come off if I picked up my pace any more, haha!
I was definitely glad to have gotten this event over with. I want to thank Mark Shaw, his wife, Sherri Shaw, and Les Kenyon, who helped with the timing. I want to personally thank all of you again for putting this on, even though I ended up being the only one who participated in it. You have helped me out in my goal immensely.
The race coordinators were really cool about it too, they even said that my award, t-shirt, and other neat premiums would be mailed to me, so that will be convenient. It was nice that right after I was done running, we all just sorta up and left. I went over to the Francis Scott Key Resort by Ocean City to personally thank some of the workers there for putting on the event, and then went to see a couple of my friends (one who I found out was pregnant :) and the other who I met for brunch and helped him move some things into his new place. After that, I headed home, stopped off at Adkins Arboretum in Caroline County to see if the race director from the Arbor Day Fun Run was there to tell her the great news on the progress of my goal, and then went home to put in a few hours at Safeway. It was a really productive day and I thank God for everything that got done with my goal and such.
I know that everything happens for a reason, and maybe God wanted me to run this event for a reason. Had I run the River Run in Berlin last Sunday instead, I probably would not have done this one since the River Run would have satisfied my Worcester County requirement. Yet, since I still had to get a Worcester County event in as part of my goal, I ended up coming to this one that was next up in the county, and had I not come, they probably would have cancelled it altogether, and who knew what that might have done to the "Dash and Splash" series (which is in its first year by the way, so I think it's sorta fragile). God was preparing me for the race He wanted me to have in Worcester County this year (and who knows, there may be more), and I just hope He continues to lead me with patience because it is mighty clear that He has better things in store for myself than I do. I know that running in the rain may not sound the most appealing, but at that point it did not matter (especially after doing that quite a bit in high school and college meets and practices). This experience has no doubt made me stronger (I just hope I don't catch a cold as a result of it)! Hopefully I can experienc His work and grace fully as He continues to work through more of my upcoming workouts, runs, and races for His glory and to help me in my goal(s)!
Thank you for taking the time to read, I hope you all have a wonderful night and weekend! Thank you for hanging with me, especially with all the mental drama/anxiety I expressed about getting running events in on the Maryland Eastern Shore this year. Your attention and support are definitely appreciated, sleep well!

No comments: