Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Got another Emerson Community One-Mile Fun Run In!

This evening I went out to the Northern Laurel area of Howard County, Maryland for another Emerson Community Fun Run that have been going on this summer. This was the seventh and final running of the one-mile fun run series that they hope to continue next year. The cloudy skies were looming overhead and sprinkling, but the rains held off past 7:30 when the fun run started. I was glad I was able to make this event again, as I would have to wait until next summer to run in more of them. There were not as many people as last week, I guess because it looked like it was going to rain and storm. Either way, a good handful of us showed up and had a good time, and what really had me was that the event coordinator, Glenn Meineger, gave out free popsicles. As a matter of fact, the event is so low key it does not cost anything either!
I wanted to use this mile fun run as one of three mile repeats. However, I feel like I pulled/strained a muscle in my left knee on Sunday night (from what I'm not quite sure, it just started hurting then), and since then the pain's gone down a bit and I had not run since Sunday after hellping out at the IronGirl Triathlon in Howard County. When I warmed up this evening, I could stilll feel it a bit and decided to maybe just try and run two. I would do one before the one mile race, then do the one mile race for the second. Having people to run against might help me mentally through the fatigue of having done one mile repeat prior to it. However, my first mile repeat was relatively slow for me, only 6:23. Within about ten minutes after it, I ran the race and the same course in 5:26, one second faster than last week's time (even though I went a little further last week, so I don't think I actually ran quite as fast as last week, but at least I am consistent :) Needless to say I think it helped me to mentally push myself knowing I was in a race and I hate to say it, I think I sorta mentally "fell asleep" on that first mile repeat (and I think part of it was because I woke up in the middle of the night last night and I could not fall back asleep)
I am glad that I was able to get that workout in and upon cooling down afterwards, my left knee did not seem to hurt as much. We'll see how I feel tomorrow and then go from there!
As for my first day at the Homewood Center, it went real nicely. I met a lotta new and helpful people there, and it seems like I am going to have some good experiences working there with them. Although the students themselves don't start classes there until Monday, I am sure it will be full of challenges, but it seems like I am a part of a hard-working team that I can take pride in and hopefully come to feel comfortable around. I look forward to getting more into it and doing some training that will enhance my skills and knowledge to effectively serve as a paraeducator there!
Thank you for reading my updates, I hope you all have a good night!

No comments: