Sunday, August 19, 2007

Volunteered at the Ryka IronGirl Triathlon!




Hey there, just got in from the Ryka IronGirl Triathlon in Howard County, Maryland. The event started and ended by Centennial Lake in Centennial Park. The event consist of a one-kilometer (.62 miles thereabouts) swim, a 17-mile bike, and a 3.3 mile run at the end. Since it's for women I didn't participate, but volunteered. I helped out with a Team in Training water stop right as the participants finished the biking portion and started on the running portion of the triathlon. It was definitely a lot of fun and time went by fast. While I'm not (yet) a member of Team in Training, my friend Allison was one of the participants I knew doing this event and I went out to cheer her on and she mentioned the Team in Training water stop as a good opportunity and I was able to help out there. It was a good time and I met some cool people, and my friend Allison did real well, finishing her first IronGirl triathlon. I could not believe that there were girls so young they could probably be in middle school, partiicpating in such a hardcore triathlon activity.
The whole atmosphere was positive and inspiring. This was my first weekend in about two months that I not done a race, and yet it still felt like I cam eback from one because I had been around the positivity of one and some of the peole I see at them. I went for a nice easy 5-to-5.5 mile run thereabouts around the Centennial Park area, and it was relaxing. Even though it was raining ever now and then, it usually was not heavy and it kep tthe heat down making it a good day to run and have a triathlon.
Thank you all for reaing, I hope you all continue to enjoy the weekend, and congratulations to any of you who completed the IronGirl Triathlon or other such events this weekend :)

No comments: