Monday, August 13, 2007

My visit to the Rock Hall Tricentennial Celebration, Sunday, August 12, 2007











Sunday morning I was really pleasantly surprised that I had off work on Sunday, so I was able to make it to an early mornin' church service that mornin' and then take a ride onto the Maryland Eastern Shore in Kent County to go to Rock Hall for it's 300th birthday weekend celebration. I like that relatively small well-shaded bayside town and I thought it would be cool to make a special trip to check it out during an historical time since I had the extra time. I tried to get a coupla my friends to road trip over there with me, but they had other things goin' on andso I ended up goin' by myself, which was fine, because it was still enjoyable and I got some nice photos.
I got there, checked out a few little touristy shops that were really nice (especially the Durding's shop, they sell nice ice cream)! I also went for a little jog/run for the better part of a half hour with my camera, wallet, and a little map of the town. I felt good, it served as a relaxing cooldown from yesterday's cross country races at Oakland Mills High School in Columbia (Howard County), Maryland and a steady warmup for the relatively low-key Comus Cross Country 5K I hoped to do in Montgomery County, Maryland later that evening.
I pretty much went along the Bayside Avenue (I think that's what the street is called), and took some nice photos of the bay, boats, and the bulkhead where the crabfest was supposed to take place later that afternoon. I bought a tricentennial hat and t-shirt too! I ran all the way down to where Highway 20 ends at the Gratitude Marina (it's the photo in the far upper right, and the one in the upper left is a picutre of some of Rock Hall from the Marina with Highway 20 headin' outta Rock Hall). Afterwards I got an ice cream cup from Durding's and then went to Java Rock across the street for a breakfast sandwich and some water (I hadn't had much to eat earlier on and I knew that if I wanted to run decently this evening it would be wise to be well-fed). I had wanted to stop in the Harbor Shack for a sandwich, a nice bayside bar and restaurant near the Gratitude Marina, but I did not want to wait a while so that I would have enough time to get to Comus/Dickerson, Maryland in time for the race in case there was a lotta traffic on the Bay Bridge and Beltway near Washington D.C.

I am really glad I got fit this in. To my recollection, I've only been to Rock Hall once before, and that was earlier this year a few days before my birthday, on Sunday, April 22, comin' back from stayin' with a friend in Salisbury (Wicomico County), Maryland. When I went the first time I had gone for a run through the residential streets and took a few photos too. It's a great, speedy way to get through the relatively smaller town and see a lotta different things, but next time I hope to spend more time there and maybe just chill instead of run through town, we'll see. I do like running around that area, my second experience being a little better than the first, but maybe next time I'll behave more like a "normal tourist", hahaha!

No comments: