Saturday, August 4, 2007

Successful Seven Sisters Experience!!!!


And if I had a lisp, that title would have sounded so strange, haha! Any way, I finally made it to a famous Seven Sisters & Four Brothers Road Races Series around the Dewey Beach area(Sussex County), Delaware. The Races2Run crew (http://www.races2run.com) put this one on in addition to the Wilmington Games 5K I ran in New Castle County, DE on Wednesday, July 25, 2007. This one was the Venus on the Half Shell 5K Run with a start and finish by the Venus on the Half Shell restaurant (very beautiful bayside area in addition to a nice shaded out-and-back course that was pretty much flat). I hope to get some pictures up of this event soon.
I wanted to get a good ways under 19:00 and I was able to do that and pleasantly surprised to see that I finished ninth overall and I took second in the male 19-24 age group division, and I almost got first in it too. I ran pretty strongly and evenly, both of my 1/2 mile splits in the second mile being about 3:01, and I even had a strong kick at the end before the 3-mile mark. One of the best parts of it was that I did not really feel lilke my legs were losing feeling like they have in recent races, nor did I feel too much cramping. I wonder if it had something to do with me making sure I ate A LOT leading up to the race, plus praying about it before and during the race. Here are my splits:

1-mile: 5:54
1.5 miles: 8:55
2 miles: 11:56
3 miles: 18:03
Finish (5K - 3.1 miles): 18:35 /18:36

It was very sligtly faster than the Grantsville Days 5K I ran in Garrett County (18:36) on Saturday June 23, 2007, and since then I have not run a faster 5K, so that's why I compared those two races, even though the race in Grantsville was much more hilly than this!
All right, I'm gonna hopefully go visit a friend before I head into work. Tomorrow mornin' I hope to run an 8K cross country race in Arnold (Anne Arundel County), MD, called the Dog Days Cross Country 8K Run, put on by the Annapolis Striders (http://www.annapolisstriders.org)

No comments: