Sunday, July 29, 2007

Well, I've run a race in all three of Delaware's counties this year, YEEHOOO!!!!!

As of this morning, on Sunday, July 29, 2007, after I ran the Twenty-fifth Annual Y.M.C.A. Five-Mile Run/Walk in the Rehoboth/Deauville Beach area in Sussex County Delaware, I hit a "milestone" (or I guess "mile maker" would be a more appropriate term, haha) of running at least one race in every county in the state of Delaware. Although that accomplishment is not part of the goal/focus of this goal, and there are only three counties in Delaware, I think it's reason enough to celebrate!!! WHOOHOOO! And I did it on a weekend vacation to Rehoboth Beach with my family, certainly a nice festive time :) On Thursday evening of March 1, 2007 I ran in the March Moonlight Madness 5K in Wyoming (Kent County), DE and then this past Wednesday, July 25, 2007, I ran in the Wilmington Games 5K in Wilmington (New Castle County), DE, thus getting the other two Delaware counties in.
Today's race went all right. I built into it and did not cramp up until near the end a little before the last mile, and even then, I did not feel as cruddy as I did near the end of the Wilmington Games 5K or during some of the other 5K's where my legs seem to lose feeling and flail about. Another small victory for me!
I was not paying much attention to the first mile on this relatively flat course, but based on what I heard from runners who were ahead of me at the beginning of the course, I was probably a little slower than 6:40. Shortly after that point, I started to pick up the pace and I hit these splits:


Two miles: 12:35
Three miles: 18:48ish
Five kilometers: 19:39
Four miles: 25:25
Five miles: 31:57

My last mile I was strugglin' and hit about 6:32. Other than that I was pretty well pleased with it, barely hitting my goal of running the five mile race in under thirty-two minutes and I even ran a second faster than I did at the McCready Health Services Foundation Founder's Day 8K in Crisfield (Somerset County), MD on Cinco de Mayo (May 5). I think that was the last 8K/five-miler I ran, that's why I compare the two.
I finished thirteenth overall and took first in my age group (male 20-24), that was a blessing and it was cool to see some people I knew from college and from other MD/DE Eastern Shore races and events. I definitely had a great time and it is making the vacation more enjoyable it seems. I did not have my camera with me, so I did not get photos of the event, but I'll try and put some photos of Rehoboth Beach up on this blog sometime soon for those interested in checkin' 'em out.
I really liked this race because it was within a mile of the hotel where we are stayin' and it was nice to walk/jog to and from it. I've definitely come to appreciate that, since this year I have often been one of the "outta-towners" who travel two-to-three hours to an event, but hey, it's a cost of this goal!!!!
Thank you all for readin' and checkin' up on my progress, I continue to appreciate your attention, support, and encouragement very much. I hope you all have an enjoyable weekend :)

No comments: